It has an interesting history.
This is the only such structure to cross the James River. The bridge was initially constructed as a toll bridge by the Buchanan Turnpike Company. The toll was a nickel per person, wagon, or animal.
The bridge is 366 feet long. Some parts of the bridge, most notably the rock piers, date back to 1851, and Civil War troops used it to cross the river.
The bridge, then a covered bridge, was burned in 1864 by General John McCausland in an effort to keep Union troops from using the bridge to cross into Buchanan to burn parts of it during Hunter's Raid.
After the Civil War, the bridge was rebuilt, but a flood washed it away in 1877. The bridge subsequently has been replaced several times, finally becoming a pedestrian bridge in 1938.
The bridge is featured on the Town of Buchanan's official seal.